Thursday, August 23, 2007

Happy Birthday to me and our house.

Yup, we have the same b-day. 'Twas one year ago today that hubby and I signed on our house, officially becoming its owners and giving it new life. Don't know if I'll ever get a better birthday gift than that. The last year has brought some major changes to my life. . .we bought our first home, we moved to a different city town and changed wards, and I quit working full time to stay home with my little monkeys.

I'm so glad that, at age 30 (compLETEly weird), I can say I am doing what I always wanted to do—though it may not be how I imagined it while in the naiveté of youth. Didn't really think I'd be settling down in Utah, much less Podunk Utah. And I thought I would just love being a stay-at-home mom. Am I completely adjusted to my newfound circumstances? Certainly not. . .I frequently feel isolated, unappreciated, inadequate, and frustrated. It's a struggle to feel comfortable and confident in this role. I'm not always joyful about and appreciative of the experience, but every now and then I get a glimpse of why my being home with my kids is so important.

So, to remind myself of why I feel grateful for the changes since last August 23, I've been compiling a list of reasons. I've decided to share my own Top 10 pulled from that list. Here goes:

Top 5 Reasons Lindy is Happy to Live in Tooele
10. It has the coolest old post office (I'm going to take pictures to post later) and I live next to the Railroad Museum. Makai thinks that's where all trains "come home" to.
8. For many reasons, I'm reminded of my hometown St. Johns often; it's a comforting feeling. Now if only my Grandma Udall could live right next door…
7. I feel safe. My kids can play outside without a lot of worry—well, in comparison to living in the city. I also don't think terrorists could find this place if they tried.
6. Life is more simple—not as much going on, not as many places to spend $, not as much pressure to keep up with the Joneses.

Top 5 Reasons Lindy is Happy to Be Staying at Home
5. My duff isn't glued to an office chair all day in front of a computer…although some days it's there more than it should be. My eyes and my wrist tendons are happier, too.
4. I get to see my kids wake up from their naps, when they just want to be held. And sometimes, I even get to take a nap with them.
3. We are eating homemade meals more than ever. I'm finally trying out those recipes I clipped and always intended to make. I make dinner; it's ready when Aki comes home. Happy Aki.
2. We can actually enjoy our Saturdays. Whereas before, Saturday was reserved for 6 loads of laundry, grocery shopping, housecleaning, and errand running, I can get those things done (mostly) during the week now and leave Saturday for some family swimming, picnic, or window shopping time. And getting ready for Sunday, of course.
1. I always promised myself I would stay home with my little ones, so I no longer have that hanging over my head. It's not easy, it's not always fun, and certainly not glamorous in the world's view, but I don't regret my decision for a minute. I can't describe the relief, the gratitude, the hope, and the immense love I feel when I get some quiet one-on-one time with my children and look forward to all that we have to offer each other.

10 comments:

Crystal said...

What a great way to celebrate! You are loved and appreciated so very much all the way over here in my town, if that accounts for anything:) Happy Birthday!

Missy said...

Love the lists! It's a good way to remember things when you've had a REALLY hard day with the kids! We all feel your pain and joy!
I do have to say that I do not like our old post office! It's much too small and the parking is horrible!

Lori said...

Your post makes me want to move to Tooele! :)

Lindy said...

Okay, you're right, there is no parking, and it's small—that's because it's OLD. But I love it inside...the old-fashioned boxes and gold lettering that says "Postmaster" on the door.

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LINDY!!! i love you so much!!!

Anonymous said...

I love the list and of course can relate - Barry just got in Alli's room and "painted" red nail polish all over her off white carpet -- but I still love his guts!

PS I think Osama knows about that army depot out there :)

Lindy said...

Oh good point, Heidi, about the army depot. Darn it.

aki said...

I think I'm ready to move somewhere like overlake or stansbury for a change and another house birthday.

Kristen said...

I love the picture of you and the kids--one for the mantle.

Daisy said...

Lindy, Happy be-lated to you! I can't believe I've lived and SURVIVED 365 days without you as my dear next-door neighbor! I'm just so thankful we live now and have other forms of communication. Maybe some day I can talk Armando into moving there. But...don't hold your breath. We need to set up an ice cream date soon. It's on me birthday girl!