Thursday, August 9, 2007

Favorite Things Swap

A few weeks ago I signed up for a Favorite Things Swap on this blog. I received my package yesterday, and I was so excited! I had reason to be. The gal from California who sent to me did a STELLAR job. Check it out:
Not only was everything packaged and presented very cute—and all in RED, she gave some really nice things that happen to be her favorites:
1: a bath bomb from Lush
2: Goldie red nail polish (from B&BW)
3: Tazo herbal tea
4: Sprinkles red velvet cupcake mix (bakery of the celebs)
5: blank notebook (in design of Martha Stewart Crafts red bandanna)
6: a compact flourescent lightbulb - the girl conserves energy
7: and a great summer mix CD, again designed in MS red bandanna)
and she put all the smaller items in the cute red labeled jar you see in the pic.

What a fun package to open up and go through! I'm listening to the music right now, and I can't WAIT to make the cupcakes, then take a Lush-filled bath and paint my toenails while my herbal tea is brewing. :) Maybe then I'll change a light bulb and jot down some blog ideas in my fancy new notebook.
The most creative part was the front of her card—the text (sung to the tune of The Sound of Music's "My Favorite Things") goes:
Raindrops on ranunculas* and trips to IKEA,
Fresh cups of tea and some Cherry Garcia,
Red paper packages tied up with strings,**
These are a few of my favorite things!

Polished red toes peeking out from my sandals,
A bath bomb from Lush (add a tub and some candles),
Lyrics that make you just get up and sing,
These are a few of my favorite things!

When the dog bites, when the bee stings,
When I'm feeling sad…
I simply remember my favorite things,
And then I don't feel so bad!

Cupcakes (so good!) from my favorite place, Sprinkles,
Light bulbs that brighten to make your house twinkle,
Notebooks to capture the joy that life brings,
These are a few of my favorite things!
* - maybe I'm dumb, but I had to look it up. It means buttercups. She's a clever one!
** - everything really was tied with string (it was cute red&white, like peppermint)
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Here is the not-so-decorative package I sent out to my person in Arizona (click photo below to see up close). I included a summer mix CD as well, including some of the songs I have playing on my blog; some great office supplies like a list tablet, colored pens, sharpies, and post-it notes (I'm such a nerd, I tell you); a grapefruit-scented B&BW liquid hand soap and a Johnson & Johnson baby wash with cute baby washcloths, two of my favorite scents; some fall paper goods and fall-themed recipes (because I love a party!); and my favorite snacks (see the right margin of my blog for an idea. . .now think mailable ones). Then the kids included one of their favorite things: Makai, a bottle of bubbles and Ame, a Hawaiian flower for her hair.
Hopefully she receives it all in one piece and enjoys it!

7 comments:

Crystal said...

I've always wanted to do a swap but always worried about disappointing my recipient. I think you'ver helped me to forge new frontiers. When and where's the next sign up?

kh said...

Hey! Yahoo! I can once again leave a comment! I must have made the Blogger gods mad cause it's been a good long while since they'd let me leave you a comment! I wonder why that happens, but it really boils my water...

So I have been reading every single blog post you have done and I hoped you didn't think I had given up on you. I know everyone likes comments, especially from those you know are reading it!

What a fun/cute/creative idea this swap is! I have seen them before but never have (see your first comment, first line... she said it exactly) I worry about the let down of sending the most boring package ever. This is seriously so cute! I wonder if it would work with long-distance family... humm, I may have to try it out!

I loved the Ensign article. Funny how these things creep on me and slap me in the face at the time I most need it. Good reminder those articles... I am glad you shared on it.

Okay, so does Aki have a brother??? Or why don't you just send Aki to AZ and he can cook for me! What a hubby! And congrats on your coming 6th anniv... I hope you can get away for it.

P.S. love the birds! Takes me back to the wonderful Tiki Hut at Disney Land.

Tiff Hunt said...

ok, I want to do this so bad. How do I sign up? What fun. How fun would it be to get fun things from people. I like yours as well. It is super cute.

Just Us said...

Hi Lindy,

Well I have been meaning to write you a return comment for a few days now, but as you noticed on my blog I have a tiny tot that thinks she can cause mischief just because she's six weeks old. :) I am new in town just like you and very new to the SAH thing as well, so having a friend within fifty miles sounds great. If the exercise partner thing doesn't pan out, how do you feel about a chocolate partner? :) Also, I was reading your blog and noticed that you served a mission in "little mexico." Where are you alluding to? I served a mission in Honduras so anything latino excites me (even though I must admit to liking the drink they make out of rose petals more than horchata...I just can't remember the name of it).
Anyway, write back when you have a few spare seconds!
Jenn Savage
the-savage-family.blogspot.com

Just Us said...

I just remembered, it's called Jamaica! :)

Kristen said...

Lindy--what a fun exchange! I didn't know it was with people you don't know--I've seen antique exchanges, etc., on other blogs but I just assumed they were among friends. Cute idea.
I also really enjoyed the Ensign article. I'm ashamed to say our subsciption expired a few months ago and I haven't renewed yet, so I pretty much only read the VT message online each month. Anyway, I wouldn't have seen it had you not shared it. Muchas gracias--I needed the inspiration (that is me with the mac-n-cheese!).

k8shoe said...

How come some people get all the craftiness? What a cute package and song too! The package you made is darling too. Way cuter than anything I could come up with (I'm really a buyer....I can't even scrapbook), but I'd love to do this too. That is, if you'll all let me. :)