Thursday, July 26, 2007

Learning to swim…

…is not for everyone, even if islander blood runs in your veins (weird--this is the 2nd posting day in a row talking about blood running through veins).

The picture above is of Makai's first swimming lesson. What? you ask. That's not Makai, that's Ame! Yes it is. That's because Makai wouldn't get near the water (I was actually dragging him), and we couldn't get our money back, so Ame took his place in the preschool class and swam like a champ. We have tried again two different days, but Makai still refuses, so Ame's getting a head start in the swimming department. I don't know if or when Makai will learn to swim, and right now I'm not too concerned about it.

I know some of you are thinking, "Why have you never put him in swimming lessons before?" To answer that, I would remind you that this is the first summer of my adult life that I have not been working full-time during the day (and swimming lessons is not part of the daycare's curriculum). This summer is my first opportunity to sign him up, and it appears I've done it too late.

How horrified would his Tongan grandparents be to know that their one and only grandson doesn't want to be in the water?

9 comments:

Anne Marie said...

You could do what we do here in Florida. Just throw him in. I know easier said than done. Everyday when we are getting ready for the pool William says I don't want to practice swimming just use floaties. Oh but swimming lessons start next week and then the floaties will just disappear. At least Ame is helping you get your monies worth.

k8shoe said...

That sounds all too familiar. Roman is TERRIFIED of water but McKay has always swam like a fish, even when she was very little. I'm hoping it will get better. It might have something to do with the fact that R's fallen in a pool and hot tub this Summer. I swear they both happened in like two seconds and the kid refuses to where a life jacket. Don't report me to child services!

kh said...

Don't feel too bad. Some kids take to water better than others, no matter their heritage. We could be half fish and my daughter still woudln't care. She likes the water, but once "lessons" start, she has had enough! I guess she'll just have to stick to the bathtub!

I am sure he will come around, perhaps after he realizes even a GIRL can do it! (But maybe your kids aren't as competitive in everthing like mine are...heaven help us!)

Daisy said...

Again, love the pics Lindy! And I don't think you've started too late with Makai. Just be persistant and eventually he'll give in to enjoying the water like Ame. (Maybe) I don't know. My mom dunked me at the swim-lesson intructor's request at the age of 4 or 5 and I can still tell you in vivid detail the reocurring nightmare I had as a child of being sucked into the drain of the swimming pool. Ridiculous, I know, but I only like to be in bodies of water where I have control. Anyway, I could ramble on for hours on the subject. We're trying to figure out what to do with Marcela. She's still young...Armando thinks we should dunk her. I think we should wait til she's ready. We're going to wait til Annie is back in August and she's going to give her some swim lessons. She's a certified instructor. I'll ask her if she has any suggestions of what to do for Makai.

Crystal said...

I also love the pictures. That water looks so inviting!! And Ame looks so "Bo Derek". heehee...
Don't worry, he can always sign up for swimming in college like I did :)

Lindy said...

I'm going to forget it for this summer (yes, the bathtub is just fine for now)--we'll try again in 08! Bo Derek--ha ha!

Anonymous said...

ame is so super cute!!! how is she at swiming??? that is so funny that makai wouldn't get in the water!

Brigham said...

Makai won't swim because last summer he jumped in the pool at Boomer's (our brother Ryan) to be like his cousins and went straight to the bottom--eyes and mouth open and all. I was the lucky adult who happened to be the closest and had to jump in without enough time to even take of my flip-flops!

Just bribe him and he'll get in. I'm not a parent but it always worked on Keegan.

Stella said...

that is some good advice brig! and lindy ame is really cute! she always gets the best pictures! anyway good luck!

stella