The talks on Sunday shared accounts not only of those pioneers who made the trek west, but also of people who have the pioneering spirit and are blazing trails for others to follow. Stories were told of converts who were pioneers in the gospel for their family. We can all be pioneers - we all have challenges that require the faith, hope, and determination our ancestors showed. I love what's written below. . . I believe it strongly. I'm proud to have his pioneer blood!A little background: my great-great-grandfather, David King Udall, who came across the plains as an infant, helped to settle the community of St. Johns, Arizona (where his descendants still reside 5 generations later). While serving as president of the Arizona Temple, he sat in his office there and wrote the following in June 1930:
My dear children and grandchildren,
You, my children, are living in a new age, but you, too, will have your frontiers to explore, your divides to cross, your own deserts to subdue. Most important of all, you will have home and state problems to solve that will challenge the pioneer blood that runs in your veins. Trust in the Lord, be true to yourselves and all will be well with you.
My love and blessings are yours always.
David K. Udall

4 comments:
I love that you have this little piece of history, and that it's written so specifically for you. What a motivation for me to keep up with the journaling, etc.
i love it!!! i really enjoyed the journal entries!!! So i have a new blog my other one wasn't turning out to well! s o i got a new one check it out!! its at http://stellabellaspage.blogspot.com/!
later, Luv ya!
stella
Lindy. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Even though I'm not his descendent, what he wrote to you, rings true to me. I'll remember that I need to be a pioneer and have the faith necessary to cross my divide and subdue my deserts.
Wow--what a treasure! I think every parent and grandparent should do that for the future generations. It's so comforting to know that we are part of that pioneer legacy and can overcome obstacles just like they did.
Post a Comment