So this is how it went down: we all went to Tami's in-house salon. I put my hair into her hands for coloring. She did a dark brown all over, to even it out, then put in some highlights of a chocolate brown and a coppery color (the darker colors are appropriate for fall, don't you think?). I asked that the colors have low contrast in the realistic case that I can't afford to maintain the color, so growing it out won't be so noticeable. While the color was processing, she waxed my eyebrows—and complimented me on my high pain tolerance, thank you very much—and my moustache (yes, I do have one, the horror of it all).
Then she handed me over to Melissa for a cut and styling. Before my hair was finished it was time for the girls to go home, but the leaders stayed and got their own waxings done. Then the talk turned adult-ish and we were cracking ourselves up acting like we were on Steel Magnolias, beauty salon scenes. (See the poll on my sidebar…it's something to think about, really). And I'm extremely thankful that Annelle was not doing my hair—she would probably use Aqua Net hairspray. But how cool would it have been to hear a thing or two from Ouiser?
I really liked the end result that night, but of course I'll never be able to recreate the style. I have serious issues when it comes to operating a round brush. I'm pathetic! On Sunday morning, I had to do it well since church would be the first time for the girls to see how my hair turned out. I asked Aki for help, offering both the brush and the flat iron to him, and he gave me the whatchoo-talkin-bout-Willis look. It was a no go. Thank goodness for a sister-in-law who is staying with us right now (I'll post about her next) and can help me with my hair every day. She has to earn her room and board in some way, doesn't she?
So, here's the BEFORE, what my hair usually looked like, and no I don't have no alibi:
Then a few days later:(Notice the much-flatter hair—I may have to break down and buy some root lifter serum gel shine spray putty pomade mousse crap, or more simply known as product. I hear it cures all a woman's woes.)
Aki redeemed himself by taking these pictures of me. What a helper. The other pic is just so you can see what the color is like. Okay, folks, what do you think? Lay it on me! And any styling tips or opinions on product? Is there someone who can tutor me in basics of round brushing?
10 comments:
i'm not just being nice, but the "flatter" view from the top is my favorite. It looks good. The color is great.
I stink at product. If you want some of my 20 different barely used bottles, give me a holler.
I second Lori. Where's the front photo from that night?
The way you do your hair in the so-called "flatter" pictures.
And the color's great!
Your hair looks awesome. I love the cut, it is super flattering. The round brush just takes time. I used to get my hair tangled in it. Sometimes I just skip the round brush, blow dry and straighten. It looks super good. I love the color too!!! Good choice.
Love the cut. You did very well on your own too. Am I pathetic or what? I don't even own a round brush. But the color looks fantastic on you. I love Steel Magnolias, and would LOVE to have a sit down with Ouiser too. Isn't she funny?
Love the new do! I can hardly use a blowdryer much less a blowdryer and a round brish at the same time so no tips from me but I love the new look. I jsut have one question...is Aki like most men, did he even notice your hair was different?
Very cute cut! Back-combing is a great thing to make it look like your hair has volume. I never would have started doing it but my hairdresser always does it to my hair and it makes it look like I have tons of volume. Just don't do it too much; you might end up looking like a cheerleader from Vernal (No offense if anyone is really from Vernal. I could have said a cheerleader from Tooele but I know better.). :)
HOLY McHOTTIE!! I loove the new 'do on you!! that color flatters your face and your eyes. LOL..and yeah product is always a good idea :). I like bumble and bumble products and they have a spray that you put on your hair before styling to make it shiny and protect it from a flat iron.
ps I need your mailing address to send you the Backyardigans....you can email me at erica.grover@gmail.com
What a flattering cut, and color! You can "cheat" for volume and simply flip your head over, blow dry at the roots until 75% dry, then use the round brush on the ends to curl them under and prevent your hair from doing the 50's flip out. Try mousse at the roots before drying for volume, then a sealing serum on the ends of your hair once its dry for shine and to control frizzies. Amazing I know all this since the standard operating mode for me is a ponytail! I knew reading all those YM magazines as a girl would pay off one day...
I have found the best product for root boost! Are you ready....its called big sexy hair. So fitting for me being a child of the big hair 80s. Seriously it give you so much volume you think you have twice the amount of hair! Love it!
Wow, THANK YOU for all the fantastic advice! I'm actually thinking this is something I can do, feeling a little more confident to buy some product and try to do my own hair! Thanks to you all.
And, there's no front-view shot of that night because my face was all red from the waxing and all greasy from the wax-remover stuff. I didn't even let them take a picture of my face.
Post a Comment