Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Apple peelings = happy feelings

[does this remind you of Lady and the Tramp or what? I was cracking up! Slow down, kids.]

Along with our big bag of peaches, we got a supply of apples. So, for family home evening last night, we made apple crisp (great recipe). Makai was intrigued from the moment I pulled out the apple peeler: "What is that, Mom?!" When I twirled that first apple through, and the peeling surged out in a long, skinny pile of curl, Makai let out a real squeal of delight. He wanted a turn, and another, and let's do another one, Mom. Pretty soon, the apples were gone, but Makai was not done. While I was busy trying to keep the peeled apples from browning, Makai went to the frig and brought out a bell pepper and popped it on the peeler! Good try, son, but no dice.

I remember loving this same activity when I was little. I don't remember getting the peeler, or the apples, or even what they ultimately were made into (did we bottle them for future apple pies?), but I remember peeling them, with that peeler clamped to our big, wood, kitchen table. Good memories. Thankfully, apple crisp warm from the oven, melting my scoop of vanilla ice cream just a bit, is not just a memory.

9 comments:

Crystal said...

YUM! #2,645 reason to ask "Why do we not live closer together?"

Daisy said...

Lindy - that looks DELISH! I'll have to try that recipe. And where do you find an apple peeler/corer like that? About how much do they run?

{Erica} said...

Love your blog and decided to comment. I was wondering where you got the peeler and if I could have the receipe....looks wonderful! I hope you don't mind me peeking in once in a while.

{Erica} said...

ps I think I went to BYU-Hawaii with your husband? if not he looks way familiar...but I'm Tahitian and from Utah so I'm sure we've met one way or the other.....

Lindy said...

Daisy and Erica (welcome, Erica!),
This one is from Pampered Chef - it costs $28.50 there (but I got it much cheaper several years ago, especially with my host-a-party discount). But I'm sure you can get it cheaper in a different brand. I saw them at Bed Bath & Beyond for $20, but with a suction base, and I've never tried that. I bet you could do a little internet research to find out more.

Lindy said...

I forgot to say: for the recipe, click on the link in the post (the words "apple crisp").

{Erica} said...

Lindy...yeah that's where I know your husband from. I was at BYUH from 99-01 :D. I worked at the gateway and danced in the luau show. It's a small world being mormon, but I've found even a smaller world being mormon and being polynesian! It's always fun to make connections! I have to say that your kids are darling!!

wynne said...

I LOVE LVOE LEOV APPLE CRISP! (I was so excited by the pictures and my excess saliva I temporarily forgot how to spell.) Why didn't you invite me over? So what if we live states apart?

marta said...

what a wholesome, wonderful dessert. these photos have me drooling. what a fun tradition for fall.