Monday, November 12, 2007

Menu Plan Monday - 11/12

Here's our menu for this week:
SUN: Japanese chicken curry, rice, salad (bumped from last week)
MON: tortilla soup and toppings, quesadilla triangles (bumped from last week)
TUE: stuffed bell peppers, corn, salad
WED: salmon w/ avocado sauce, cheese rice, steamed veggies
THU: taco salad on tortilla chips
FRI: date night - eat out
SAT: pesto chicken pasta, tomato-cucumber salad, crusty bread
I want to explain again why I do this and share some of my thoughts on the subject:
  • My main motivation for participating in Menu Plan Monday is that it holds me accountable…I actually have to plan ahead (making grocery shopping much more efficient). When dinner time comes, I'm not wondering 1) "What should I make for dinner tonight?" since that's already been decided, and 2) if I have all the necessary ingredients.
  • I try to be flexible with the menu; it's not set in stone (as you can see above, I moved two items from last week to this week). For various reasons we were not able to eat as planned last week, but since I already had all the ingredients, I just relisted them for early this week.
  • Hopefully it can give all of you some dinner ideas as well. Hundreds of families that participate in Menu Plan Monday post their menus on their blogs…you can see links to all of them by going to orgjunkie.com every Monday (or by clicking on the smiley face logo above).
  • Lastly, some of you have mentioned interest in wanting certain recipes. Please email me (my address is found on my profile) so I can send you a recipe, since you may not check back in the comments.
P.S.
Our family too eats its share of McDonald's, Little Caesar's pizza, Wendy's, or whatever. We certainly aren't perfect in the nutrition department. But, since we ate well above our share of convenience food when I was working full time, I promised myself that when I was able to stay home, I would try my darnedest to make home-cooked, nutritionally balanced (for the most part) meals. So I'm trying.

3 comments:

kh said...

I think you do a great job! If only I had enough organization to plan my weekly menu! You are an inspiration!

Summer said...

That's awesome Lindy. I started meal planning a couple years ago and every time I quit for awhile, we end up eating less healthy and spending more money (and I'm more stressed because I don't have a plan). It's amazing how that works!
Just recently I started doing two weeks of planning meals so that I do a major grocery shop every other week and then get perishables on the off weeks. It's been really nice.
Thanks for the ideas!

Mindy said...

lindy this makes me want to come eat at your house. so organized and healthy. btw, kelly had her little girl sequoia gail burton goodman? i am not sure of the spelling of either the first or middle name but will try to investigate. also rhett's newest name for their baby girl is torah. lions and tigers and bears oh my!!!