Sunday, October 5, 2008

For the record, let it be known that...

See, Makai, I really do love you.

...Thursday night Makai was complaining of stomach pain, as he had for the previous week. It's simply a matter of being backed up, if you know what I'm talking about—a result of his refusing to eat fruit or vegetable in any form.

Anyway, his moans and groans and foghorn-like cries continued until well past midnight; he was keeping the whole household awake, including my visiting parents. After numerous attempts to comfort/silence him, I moved him upstairs so my parents could sleep. But then I feared he would wake the baby.

Frustrated, I informed—okay, I threatened—him that if he could not keep it down, he would have to go sleep outside in the car where we couldn't hear him. (You know, kind of like my dad threatening to make us sleep outside in the woodpile with the skunks.) Satisfied that Makai would finally relax and go to sleep, I went back to bed, only to wake up to an early morning phone call from Aki (who had gone to work in Salt Lake at 4:00 AM).
Him: "Um, just so you know, I've got Makai."

Me: "What??!! What do you mean?"

Him: "Well, I drove to work this morning, and just before arriving there, I heard a little moan. It freaked me out...I turned around, and there was Makai sleeping on the back seat. He had a pillow and blanket and everything. He told me that you had gotten mad at him and said he had to sleep outside. Did you really do that?"

Me: "Kind of."
So, the Funakis had their own version of "Bring your Son to Work Day;" Makai missed school and drove around with Aki and accompanied him to jobs. Shirtless and shoeless and his bedhead at its best, I'm sure Makai's appearance made Aki's customers wonder about the stability of our family life. Luckily one of the homeowners was sympathetic to the situation and let him watch Scooby Doo and eat cereal while Dad worked in their kitchen.

When all was said and done and they arrived home, Aki admitted it had been a v e r r r y l o o o o n g day, and that he had to hand it to me for caring for Makai day in and day out. Tell me about it.

Just in case the future Makai remembers this day, and is prone to think that I was a wicked and evil [biological] mother for coldly and neglectfully banishing him to the outer realms of our driveway, I'll just point back to this blog entry to tell him how it really happened.

The moral of the story is: EAT YOUR VEGGIES

17 comments:

Anne Marie said...

That is so FUNNY! Thanks for sharing. I am still laughing.

Anonymous said...

Oh Lindy, Jeremy and I are both in tears laughing here. I could SO see Seth doing something like that. UGH! Just absolutely hilarious.

ms said...

That is too funny!

Stella said...

That's so funny. When i would cry my mom would put me int he car once and drive around till i fell asleep. then she would go in and i would sleep in the car so no one could hear me. So, sully couldn't hear me.
(*but we had a garage.)

Rachel said...

Lindy this was the best post! What a completely obedient child you have! I could totally relate to the whole frustration when kids won't listen. I don't think my kids were ever as obedient however! Thanks for sharing such a great story!

Just Us said...

That is a hilarious story! Oh you win. lol. I also love the pics of Tevi...your photographer must be a genius! :)

Daisy said...

oh my goodness! i so thought he was going to end up with a case of appendicitis, but that ending was much better. how hilarious. that story is going down in the records for sure!

Tori said...

that's so funny! thanks so much for sharing that story!

Missy said...

That's a great story, Lindy!! Loved it!!

Anonymous said...

Aww. Poor kid. :l You've gotta admit, it's funny though. :D

Anonymous said...

btw... LOVE the pic of you and Kai. :D

k8shoe said...

Hilarious. I love that he actually slept in the car and even more that Aki kept him with him all day. Great writing as usual.

Summer said...

best story of the week! :) glad Aki got a small dose of motherhood. :)

Tooele Brezoff said...

That is too funny, I have learned to keep a bag of extra clothes in the car just in case. Sounds like you might need a "just in case" bag too. Bryan would have made me come and get our kid! Great dad to keep him all day!

lilivand said...

That is one of the funniest posts I have ever read!

Kristen said...

So funny! Good thing he woke up before Aki got to work and left the car:)
By the way, I LOVE the picture.

Jen said...

That is crazy! It seems like the kind of thing you could never make up. I'm glad that everything turned out okay.