Monday, September 29, 2008

Wisdom from Anne (with an 'e')

My niece, Nina, heading home on a country road. Photo courtesy of her mom.

This year marks the 100-year anniversary of the publication of Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery. The newspaper published a list of Anne Shirley's musings, and these were my favorites:
• It's a serious thing to grow up, isn't it? ... it's a great responsibility because I have only one chance.

• What a splendid day! ... I pity people who aren't born yet for missing it. They may have good days, of course, but they can never have this one.

• There must be a limit to the mistakes one person can make, and when I get to the end of them, then I'll be through with them. That's a very comforting thought.

• No matter how hard I try to be good I can never make such a success of it. ... But don't you think the trying so hard ought to count for something?

• I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers. It would be terrible if we just skipped from September to November, wouldn't it?

• I'm so glad it's a sunshiny morning. But I like rainy mornings real well, too. You don't know what's going to happen through the day, and there's so much scope for imagination.

• It's such a solemn thing to be almost 14. ... It's perfectly appalling to think of being 20. It sounds so fearfully old and grown up.

• I make so many mistakes. But then just think of all the mistakes I don't make.

• Kindred spirits are not so scarce as I used to think. It's splendid to find out that there are so many of them in the world.

• The world looks like something God had just imagined for his own pleasure, doesn't it?

6 comments:

Brynn P. said...

AWESOME post. Anne of Green gables is my all time favorite!! LOVE IT!

Summer said...

LOVE Anne, she is my literary idol. thanks for the post and the musings.

Kristine said...

I had no idea that Anne was nearing 100...she has held up well for her age! I LOVE this post, and the connection I have always felt to Anne.

Your family is precious.
(I found you through Rachel Foxcroft's blog...and hope you don't mind me popping in!)

Just Us said...

I also love Anne. You always have the best posts Lindy!

Shayla said...

Lindy,
Max is sleeping and I have a few moments to catch up. It has been way too long. I was sad to miss Tevi's blessing... I ended sick anyway, and then Max got it too. I hope that we can see you guys this month... I am so glad that you are able to home with your ballies. They are so cute! I admire your strength... I felt every emotion while reading your last 10 posts. Don't tell Aki I cheered for Wyoming when they played BYU, I still want to be his favorite sister-in-law!

Tori said...

Great post! I love me so me Anne-girl!