Thursday, September 18, 2008

Reminder to self

Tevi's wondering what he did to deserve these people as siblings

As I sat in the waiting room at the doctor's office yesterday, awaiting my six-week postpartum check-up, I realized that had I still been working full time, I would be going back to work around now. I felt my stomach turn at the thought.

Though in many ways, it would be much easier and convenient to take my kids to daycare while I was alone sitting in front of a computer using my brain and talking to adults when I wanted to, earning money all the while, it would not be easier on my heart strings.

I have not erased from my memory the tugs at those strings when visiting my kids at daycare on my lunch break. Seeing Ame toddle over to me for a hug with a huge grin on her face, watching Makai sleep peacefully with his rosy cheeks and sweaty head, or eating lunch with them and reading a book afterwards. At the time I felt I would give anything to be able to spend the day with them. Sometimes I would walk back to my office with tears in my eyes and a hole in my heart. Being a full-time mother was my one true desire.

If I had to be working, which I did, then I couldn't think of a different situation I'd rather be in: I had the greatest job, the best boss, and a wonderful daycare situation (really, my kids are no worse for the wear). But I was determined to stay home with the next baby, and I'm glad that I am here. I'm thankful to my husband for working hard to be able to make this possible. I know I'll have to go back to work at some point, however, so I'm trying to enjoy my days at home while I can.

I've said before that I'm not very good at being a stay-at-home mom, and it's more difficult in many ways than I had anticipated, but this is where I need to be. I don't have a salary, but when Ame's observations about life make me laugh, or Makai encourages me with a hug when I'm feeling frustrated, I'm reassured that this is where my joy is.

I'm off to tackle the to-do list while kids are in school, but I wanted to remember how I am feeling. I'll kiss my precious sleeping baby before I do anything, though.

And just for my viewing pleasure, a little trip down daycare memory lane:
Ame eating her lunch (look at those little chairs!)

"Reading" a book. No hair.

Can you see Makai back there? Doing the actions to "I'm Bringing Home a Baby Bumblebee."

Little Makai excited to go outside for a ride in the wagon. That hair!

8 comments:

kh said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!

Heidi said...

Lindy I am so glad that you get to stay home too. It is hard work and sadly there are not lunch breaks and no time off but look at the benefits. You get to spend time with your pumpkins and they get to spend time with their cute mom. What could be better? -- Well maybe a lunch break.

Tooele Brezoff said...

It is hard but worth it! I am glad your at home and hope for more visits!

Crystal said...

My mom wanted to be home with us so badly. I knew that if she didn't work, we wouldn't eat or have a place to sleep, so I just dealt with it.
I inherited her longing to be an at-home mom and thankfully, when I remind myself of how good my life is, I make it through the especially rough days.
:)

Jenn said...

I so agree. You have such a lovely way of expressing things Lindy!

Summer said...

thank you for reminding me about how much I love my job. there are days when I long to go back to work or school just to have a change of pace, and then I remember how much it would kill me to leave my kiddies.
this is why i love your blog :)

Anonymous said...

Awwww. Cute! I remember going to pick Kai up from daycare one time when i went to stay at your house. :)

k8shoe said...

I say DITTO to all of Summer's comment.