Saturday, September 13, 2008

Dear BYU Cougars,

I'm writing to say thank you. Thank you for making my husband one happy man today. This evening he's still reveling in the glory that is a BYU win, a shut-out no less. I hear it was your opponent's worst loss in 80 years!

As I sat upstairs nursing my son, I could hear hoots and hollers accompanied by clapping coming from my husband downstairs. I imagine there were a few jump-off-the-couch moments too, with an occasional power-to-the-people fist in the air. No matter that he was alone down there; nothing could get between him and that TV screen.


H
e can't get enough of BYU football. When a game is all over, he likes to recount his favorite plays to me: his eyes get big and he starts talking louder and faster, he uses hand motions, and some full-body reenactments if I'm lucky. I try to appear as if I know who he's talking about and understand what it all means (it's a wonder that I haven't learned more about football than just the very basics, but I haven't, much to his dismay). I'm sorry I'm not a more faithful follower; but, to Unga, Hall, Jorgensen, Collie, Pitta, and others whose names I hear, I THANK YOU for that smile on my husband's face.

Stand and shout
, over and out—

Mrs. Aki Funaki

P.S. I have enclosed a photo of my husband attending one of last year's games. That's him in the lower-right-hand corner, looking all gangsta style (just bringing a little diversity to the BYU fans, that's all.)

5 comments:

Crystal said...

ha!
Lindy, my mom has done the SAME thing ever since I was BORN (football loyalty, screaming at the tv, jumping in the living room) and I still don't really understand the game.
Maybe they're related?
:)

Laura said...

There were similar sounds and smiles in my home all yesterday afternoon and evening. For Mark's birthday he got a TV sports package so he could watch all the games live this year. My boys have begun to watch - they know names now. It is one of Mark's greatest joys - BYU with his boys.

Missy said...

I thank BYU too! Too bad we couldn't watch it (or not watch it) together!

Summer said...

A-dorable. I love your creativity. Too bad dish doesn't carry ANY of the channels that the BYU games are on, otherwise we would be hootin' it up at our place :)

k8shoe said...

Love the diversity comment. That's funny. Pitta's parents live right by me. If Aki ever wants to meet him, I could set it up. Hee hee.