Saturday, January 19, 2008

A bit of diversion

This winter is killing me. I usually experience SAD (seasonal depression) to an extent anyway during the winter, but this year seems worse (maybe it's the longer cold stretches, more storms). And I have all-day sickness to boot. I NEED the sun, I NEED fresh air, I NEED a break from kids in the house all day long. I'm starting to feel frantic at the thought that it is only January. I want to go on a road trip! Any takers?

Thursday night I did have fun, however. Book Club was a welcome distraction to my lame little world. I hosted, and although I wasn't feeling too hot, I felt much better once I started blabbing. The group had chosen to read the book Austenland by Shannon Hale. There really wasn't much to discuss from the book necessarily, although we did hear some good dating, matchmaking, and single-life stories. Thanks, Tooele girls, for making it a fun night! On a side note, the book was a fun read, especially if you're an Austen/Mr. Darcy lover, but it's pretty "fluffy"…you can finish it in one day easy. And besides, envisioning Colin Firth giving "the look" while you're reading can help lift any depression!

8 comments:

Anne Marie said...

You could come visit the Klepko Family. We have sun and warm EVERY day. Makes me miss the snow for... only about 30 seconds. Come come come and we will have fun fun fun. I might have to check out this Austenland book sounds interesting. Thanks for the tip.

Crystal said...

I am so ready for spring. I've never experienced cabin fever before, but now that I have wiggly kids, I've decided that we all NEED the sun as well. A little girl time and blabbering is good for the soul. I'm glad you had a good time!

Missy said...

Yes that was way fun! January is such a crappy month, I've decided. It's always cold, there's no holidays, and you don't have any money!! It sucks!
Call me if you want another diversion! You're so fun even if you feel crappy!!

Lesley C said...

Lindy: If you're a true Austen fan, you should watch Masterpiece Theatre tonight on KUED (8pm). Every Sunday night during January is another Jane Austen book adaptation; tonight is Northanger Abbey. Last week was Persuasion and it was fantastic. No Colin Firth but plenty of other smoldering gazes to be had...

Lindy said...

Oh, Lesley, you are my friend! I totally forgot about it tonight (and here it is, going to start in 30 min). Thanks for the reminder!

I watched Persuasion last week…was Capt. Wentworth yummy or what?

Lesley C said...

Yes, Captain Wentworth was pretty fantastic. My mom is a huge Austen fan and went to some fan site after watching Persuasion to get "audience reaction," if you will. Apparently there are a lot of people out there a bit ticked that Wentworth was so good looking. In the book he's described as "rugged" which I guess means "old, ugly and not so easy on the eyes" to some.

Silly people. Hope you liked Northanger Abbey. I haven't read it but maybe I'll try after seeing the PBS production. Loved all of Catherin's little mental fantasies. And speaking of dreamy leading men...

Tori said...

I'm with you on the need for winter diversions. I thought when I left New England for Texas it would be all better, but I still have to break the routine.
Jane Austen (and Colin Firth) are good ways to bust out though!

Tooele Brezoff said...

I loved the book club night! I really needed it!! and for the record I do not like Jan. to long of a month! Oh PS I just stole your Firth photo for my blog ahhahaahhahaah (evil laugh)