CREAMY LEMON SQUARES20 reduced-fat vanilla wafers, finely crushed
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) cold margarine
1 pkg. (8 oz.) reduced fat cream cheese, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
2 Tbsp. flour
3 Tbsp. grated lemon peel, divided
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. powdered sugar
PREHEAT oven to 350ºF. Line 8-inch square baking pan with foil, with ends of foil extending over sides of pan; set aside. Combine wafer crumbs, 1/2 cup flour and the brown sugar in medium bowl. Cut in margarine with pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; press firmly onto bottom of prepared pan. Bake 15 min.
MEANWHILE, beat Neufchatel cheese and granulated sugar with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Add eggs and 2 Tbsp. flour; mix well. Blend in 1 Tbsp. lemon peel, lemon juice and baking powder; pour over crust.
BAKE 25 to 28 min. or until center is set. Cool completely. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and remaining 2 Tbsp. grated lemon peel just before cutting into squares to serve. Store leftover squares in refrigerator.
P.S. I doubled the recipe and baked it in a 9x13 Pyrex pan, so the crust and filling were a bit thicker; thus, more baking time required, but it turned out great. Small squares are fine, because they are rich!
5 comments:
oooh! I've got TONS of cream cheese I have to use up. This looks great:)Too bad I can't just come over and help you eat from the 9x13...
Lindy, these look delish. I'm going to have to make them sometime soon. Sounds like a light lemon cheesecake. I can hardly wait to try it out.
These do look delicious and since they are low fat I am going to have to try them. Just a note since I am a Nilla Wafer connoisseur, they are my favorite snack, the reduced fat are actually crunchier than the regular, therefore they make better crusts.
LINDY! I am so glad you commented on my blog so I could connect to yours. I love your blog and it's so great to see your cute family. I can't believe you live in Toele! We will move back to SLC in about 3 years from now - we'll have to connect up. I'll be home for the 24th. I hope to see you there! - Heather
LINDY! I made these finally!
They are very rich!
Good thing the original recipe is for an 8 x8 because I ATE HALF THE PAN BY MYSELF!!!!
Ok, maybe like a third. I used regular wafers and reggular cream cheese.
I'm sooo going to pay for this in the morning with some sort of sugar/lemon hangover.
Post a Comment