Friday, June 1, 2007

Happy first day of June…


…and Happy Summer! Did you know that in many countries, June 1 signifies the official beginning of summer? Sounds good to me! Isn't it a great feeling to know we have the whole summer ahead of us, instead of that feeling in September when we know the cold and snow will be here all too soon (except for you people living in the Arizona valley of the sun, of course)?

Speaking of June, I flipped the page on my calendar today (Georgia O'Keeffe flowers - Christmas gift from Aki) to show this beautiful image, and the colors seemed fitting. Perhaps because it made me think of Flaming June by Frederic Leighton (see painting below). We studied it in Academic Decathlon, and it is an absolutely gorgeous painting! I had the opportunity to see it in real life, not in its permanent gallery in Spain—actually, it's in Puerto Rico, good ol' Mindy pointed out—, but in a traveling Victorian exhibit that came to the National Gallery in D.C. That was 10 years ago…wow. I know this is Mindy's favorite painting, so here's a shout out to Mindy. As a sidenote, another celebration of 10 years is the 1997 opening of the Georgia O'Keeffe museum in Santa Fe, New Mexico. I've never been, but hope to someday!

5 comments:

Mindy said...

Lindy-
Alas, the painting is located in Puerto Rico, not Spain. I have not seen it and am envious that you have! I do have it hanging in my bedroom however so I can always look at it. I am going to a Pre-Raphaelite art show today at Balboa Park in San Diego for my bday. Gettin old!!!
Here is the info about the painting. Go Lord Leighton.
The Ponce Museum of Art, shares the world of European painting and sculpture as well as Puerto Rican, Mexican, Columbian and other Latin American Art. School children are seen romping the marbled staircase, absorbing the culture. The Flaming June, painted by Lord Frederick Leighton, exudes the museum's spirit. Her flowing gown and glowing hair play a trick of serenity and intensity.

Lindy said...

My bad, Mindy! Don't know why I thought that. . .I must have been confused with something else. Thanks for the correction. :)

Lindy said...

And happy b-day to you! June 2, that's right. I hope you have a very enjoyable and memorable day. I guess I should post this on your blog, shouldn't I?

Kristen said...

I love Georgia O'Keeffe and keep bugging Chuck to take me to the museum in Santa Fe. And I LOVE the paintng--I don't think I've seen that one before.
You have such a handsome family--I love being able to reconnect w/people through blogs. It's so fun (and unfortunately addictive). Anyway, I hope all is well.

Lindy said...

Amen, Kristen, it IS addictive. I'm trying to keep things under control and don't blog surf too much. I just love seeing what projects people are working on, etc. Especially all the crafty people. . .they inspire me, but that's about where it stops.