Tuesday, June 12, 2007

"So long, farewell…

…auf Wiedersehen, goodbye" (I didn't know that's actually what the Von Trapp children were singing in The Sound of Music until a couple years ago--I still think it's one of the greatest movies ever, and I'll always think that Captain Von Trapp is a hottie).

Anyway, yesterday I bid adieu to my employer of the last four years, The University of Utah Biology Department; more specifically, Dr. Jim Ehleringer (click here to learn more about him). I'm finished for good--I'm talking turned in my parking permit and key, deleted my computer files, took down pictures, and cleaned out my desk.

Aki is so glad our family no longer has to be affiliated with the UofU (he's a diehard BYU fan). The department gave me a farewell party and presented me with a bag of goodies and small gifts. Among those were a UofU mug and a nice UofU pendant. Aki said I could either return them to the bookstore or put them in the trash, but they were not entering our house (and he took the UofU t-shirts that had been given to our kids to D.I.). He means business!The great news is not only did I say good-bye to that job yesterday, I also said goodbye to the life of working full-time period! OH HAPPY DAY--I am free at last! (Well, to the extent that you can be "free" while caring for two toddlers). Today was my first official day as a "stay-at-home" mom. Wow. I took a nap with my kids for the first time in… … …who knows how long. We went for a walk, played outside, played inside, went to the library, and did chores. It was a good day. I also watched the neighbor boys for a little while, including month-old Brody. I love this little guy.

And now I'm off to Girls Camp in the morning. The kids are going to Cord & Heidi's and to Grandma Risa's while I'm gone. They are very excited, especially to see Uncle Keegan and go in his car (they like to go in anyone else's car). I will miss them, and will miss my Aki! And my bed (and shower, etc.) Watch out, secret sister, here I come!

5 comments:

Crystal said...

Congrats on those 4 years:) You've now graduated from the frying pan to the fire...have fun with your two new bosses...and at girls camp!! Yay for secret sisters!!

Anne Marie said...

I also think Sound of Music is the greatest movie EVER made. I am so excited for you to be done with work...now the real work begins. Best of luck at girls camp. I know I couldn't hack it, there is a definite reason I was born in 1977 and not 1877. Have fun!!

k8shoe said...

Lindy, how exciting! Are you ready to go back already though? :) That really is exciting and I'm sure your kids are loving it. P.S. I think Captain Von Trapp is hot too!

Kim said...

Oh congratulations on staying home!!!! That is just so great...and you'll have so much fun (except when you don't, cause sometimes you won't!).
Anyhoo...congrats Mama!

Lindy said...

Thanks, all, for the comments. So far I am enjoying staying home--I guess you could call it the honeymoon phase. But, I'm sure I'll be wanting to drop them off at daycare soon enough, so I'll just enjoy it for now. I'll post more about the good parts of staying home (that way when the going gets rough, I have something to refer to to help me remember).