Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Loud and Clear

People, there's a good chance I could be joining the masses and getting a cell phone in the near future. We currently don't have a plan, but are looking to get one.

Any opinions—good and bad—on service providers or phones? I'd love any info you can provide. Leave it in the comments section or vote in the awesome opinion poll I've got over there on my sidebar.

4 comments:

Crystal said...

hmmm...
I guess it depends on what you're using it for.
We have pre-paid phones because we aren't the type to have long (loud & annoying) conversations with people while, say, grocery shopping. It's our "just in case" phone.
We have AT&T and haven't had any problems. It averages out to about $10 a month for me. If you are on the same plan as those you talk with frequently, it'll cost you a flat fee of a dollar for that whole day-talk as long as you want to as many people that share your provider.
If you need it to replace your land line, I'd say Verizon...especially if you're in the middle of nowhere. They get pretty good service, but you'll be paying for it.
Hope that helps.
:)

Brigham said...

Go Verizon cause that's what I use. :) Except I'm in Iraq, so that doesn't help. A few others in our fam have it, so that helps too. Like Crystal said, decide how much you want to use it, and then if you go with a regular service, go with the one that the people you talk with the most use. Verizon has the best service from everything I've heard and experienced. It even works in SJ. One other benefit of a regular plan is the free nighttime minutes. Just get the lowest plan for limited daytime use and then call your friends and family at night when it's free minutes.

P.S. Most services have a search on their website where you can type in a number and it'll tell you if it's on that service or not.

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much, Crystal and Brigham. That's just the kind of information/opinions I'm looking for. :)

happy mom said...

well, I have used AT&T, my husband has used t-mobile, and we have both used verizon, and Cricket.

when I have a phone I use it, and I have been screwed by everyone but Cricket, and my husbands fav. is t-mobile. verizon had crap coverage for us, and they make you sign a contract. Cricket has been great, but we have the smallest coverage option, and pay one small flat monthly fee, this has been our least expensive cell phone ever. but we also have a prepaid t-mobile which has worked out well too, we do that because our cricket plan doesn't go out of some utah locations. So like when we went to NY we used the prepaid phone. anyway, I really have used many coverages call me if you want some specific details.