Sunday, May 11, 2008

That Wonderful Mother of Mine

Here are my mother's hands making the crust of an apple pie this past Thanksgiving. Those hands are tired and worn, but they remain strong and capable. They represent what it is to be a mother, though I dare not even begin to list all they've accomplished.

Mom, THANK YOU.

Thank you for (among a million other things):
  • teaching me to write thank-you notes
  • not having sugar cereal in the pantry
  • fulfilling your church callings
  • summers that were anything but idle
  • your example of self-discipline
  • your expectation of responsibility
  • the many reminders of correct English usage
  • the thousands of delicious homemade rolls
  • an interest in this big wide world
  • my brothers and sisters
  • a house full of bookshelves and books
  • a love of the Latino culture
  • keeping family traditions
  • the job charts and Saturday chores
  • helping me learn to sing alto
  • not always taking my side
  • the love of learning
  • trusting me
  • your innumerable sacrifices
  • always being there for me
P.S. Thanks for letting me take drinks from your Diet Coke and take gum (light blue Extra!) from your purse. I now feel your pain.

I LOVE YOU. Mucho. I can never give back to you all you've given to and done for me.

In Primary today, my kids each made me a beaded keychain for a Mother's Day gift. I immediately thought of the poem "The Lanyard" by poet laureate Billy Collins. Click here to listen to him read the poem. I think you'll enjoy the words.

Love,
Lindy

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** *

Two things I want to remember about today:

--As Aki headed to the kitchen to make breakfast, he asked for Ame's help. Confused why they needed to make breakfast for Mom, Aki explained that it was Mother's Day: "Because Mom gets breakfast for you all the other days, today you can say thank you by making it for her." "Oh, okay," she replied. With a big smile, she asked, "Mama? What kind of cereal do you want?" (I really should have gotten only cold cereal today! I turn on the stove for breakfast maybe once a week. But Aki made pancakes with eggs and bacon and fruit. It was all delicious.)

--When it was our turn to take the sacrament today in church, Makai grabbed 2 of the little cups, one in each hand and turning to offer one to me, whispered, "Happy Mother's Day."

6 comments:

Anne Marie said...

This just reminded me how much I miss you blogging. I almost cried reading about Makai and the sacrament. Does life get sweeter than that? Thanks for sharing. You have a wonderful mother and you are a wonderful mother.

Jillian said...

so cute about the sacrament cup! what a sweetheart!

Daisy said...

Oh, the sacrament cup almost made me cry.

Heidi said...

Great list Lind! Happy Mothers Day!

Brynn P. said...

What a great post! I loved it. It makes up for all your LOST blogging days.
Thanks for that Link. It helped a ton!

Tooele Brezoff said...

Happy late Mothers day! I enjoyed the post! Welcome back more posting please!