Those of you who know our little family well know that we have the tradition of throwing an all-out party for our kids on their 1st birthday. Crazy, I know.* The child doesn't even know what's going on, won't remember it, and certainly doesn't/won't appreciate the effort, time, and money spent on him or her.So I'll explain:
It started out as a Tongan thing...it's something the Tongans do, my husband explained, having its roots in celebrating any baby who lived long enough to turn 1, given the high mortality rate in earlier times.
We soon realized that we were throwing a party to, instead of honor the baby, celebrate our having survived the first year—of diapers, spit-up, sleep deprivation and the like. Especially with our first child, Makai. Anyone who remembers him as an infant knows that a celebration was warranted. :)
From there it became an issue of equal treatment for all Funaki children. We had to do one for Ame because we had done one for Makai. And now we "had" to do one for Tevi. It was a lot of fun, and a budget challenge at the same time, but we made it work. I was especially excited about this one because it is during the summer—my other two are both November babies. So here was the invitation we sent out to our family and a few friends:

7 comments:
Lindy! I found your blog too!! You are so amazingly talented!! You have always been one of my favorites!!!
Wowsas I love the photos! Such cute decorating and Daisy did an amazing job with the photos. I think she has the lens I want judging from that awesome cupcake picture. So fun! oh and this is Jenn with my new login.
Hey Lindy, loved your comment on the unnecessariness (is that even a word?) of big 1st birthdays. Unfortunately we're in the same boat as you with, "well, we did it for the first" but I think I'll definitely tone it down for Ceci. I loved that Tevi just enjoyed himself. Marcela so didn't enjoy her first birthday, which made me sad. Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed the pics. It is always so refreshing to see you, even if it is for an hour or so. :)
Love the invite! So cute!
We never did big birthdays in our family either, but they can be fun, nonetheless!
Lindy, WOW! Great Party! I love the idea of a do it yourself treat bar. So cool! Wanna plan my next kids party?!?!
Sad we missed it. The decorative candy jars were my favorite. Hope things are well in Tooele. We love you guys. Happy late Birthday to Tevi and a Happy Anniversary to you!
Shayla
P.S. I love the picture of Tevi with Uncle Matt. Could that kid be any cuter? Wow, he looks so beautiful.
Post a Comment