Tuesday, December 1, 2009

December already??!!



Just WHERE did November go? Forget the fact that I spent half of it sick...that month went by waaaay too fast!

For the past couple years, part of our advent calendar included a daily Christmas-related activity, ranging from "decorate the tree" to "jingle some bells and sing" to "enjoy a mug of hot cocoa." Well, it seems that December 1 arrived, and I didn't even have the advent calendar out, let alone filled with planned activities. So, being the improvising/desperate mother I am (I'm single this week...Aki is back east), I declared our Christmas activity would be: go to Wal-Mart and check out the Christmas goods! Little did I know it would be such a hit.

Sometimes a trip to Wal-Mart without a list or time limit is kinda fun, you know? Tevi was mesmerized by the LCD light display, Ame was taken by the miniature bows, and Makai was all over the Transformers wrapping paper. Together we picked out a few rolls of non-Transformers wrapping paper (don't tell Aki I purchased more—he thinks I have a sickness), ribbon, gift bags, and light strands. To top it all off, as we left the area, Alvin and the Chipmunks sang about getting a hula hoop—my kids' favorite.

It was actually a great way to get excited for Christmas. Who knows, maybe next year's December 1st will be spent in the Mart as well!

P.S. All you Wal-Mart haters, please keep your comments to yourself. Remember where I live...Wal-Mart is the only store there is (oh, I forgot about Walgreens). Believe me, I too hate going there sometimes, but I actually enjoyed myself tonight, which was the point of my post. Save Money. Live Better.

3 comments:

Heidi said...

Oh I just laughed out loud at the Wal-Mart haters comment! Too funny!

My kids love looking at Christmas goods too. They want to buy they most random things though -- usually something shiny. I'll have to go down there and get some of that Transformer wrapping paper!

Just Us said...

That's such a great idea! I never would have thought of just letting the kids kind of dictate what happens. I know Maddy would love that since she is dragged hither and yon without input everyday. Glad to read your post (and I saw you called today, was it to tell me that you're still alive and awesome? I hope so,) :)

Missy said...

I'm so behind on checking blogs! I love your advent calendar. I REALLY want to do one next year. it's such a good way to get into the Christmas spirit even if it means going to Wal-mart!