Thursday, July 16, 2009

Proud to be an American

Aki became a citizen of the United States of America yesterday. He joined 195 other candidates living in Utah representing 62 countries in taking the "Oath of Allegiance."

The ceremony proceedings were inspiring; my favorite part was listening to a handful of individuals express what this day meant to them. People left their home countries to escape oppression and poverty to come to America, land of freedom and opportunity. Fortunately, Aki's reasons for coming to the U.S. and becoming a citizen didn't have a lot to do with oppression (unless you call marriage oppression...and if you do, keep your comments to yourself!).

Regardless, he recognizes that this country allows for great opportunities, which he is grateful for. The road to citizenship seemed long (and expensive), but we finally made it! Congrats, Aki, I'm proud of you!

A huge thanks to Symonie (and Nina) for joining us, for taking pictures, and for celebrating with us at Cafe Rio. We were glad to have you there!
It's a good thing he's tall!

8 comments:

Crystal said...

AWESOME! AWESOME! AWESOME!

Emily said...

Congrats! That is so awsome!

Just Us said...

Yay! Congratulations Aki and fam! Love the pictures, especially the one where Aki is about a foot taller than everyone else! lol

Missy said...

That's so awesome! Congrats!

Stormy said...

Congratulations, Aki! This just put a smile on my face--and I needed that right now...as you know. Yay!

Fujitales said...

Congratulations Aki - I'm sure you'll make an awesome American! So glad to have you among us!

tricia said...

Since I walk with Risa, I heard your great news and wanted to tell you how happy I am for your whole family. It sounded like a day you will long remember.
Congratulations Aki. (We met at your reception in SJ and I'll be crushed if you can't remember everyone of us by name.)

Kristen said...

I've heard that those ceremonies are awesome. What an exciting day for your family!